Instant Pot Taco Meat- Making taco meat in your instant pot is quick and easy! You can use fresh or frozen and it will ready to serve in no time at all.
- Ground beef
- Dry taco seasoning
- Tomato sauce + Water
- Minced Onion
- Olive oil
Can I use ground turkey or chicken instead? Yes. However, full disclosure, I haven’t tried ground turkey or chicken with this cooking method. If you do try, I would recommend cutting back your cooking time. Usually, ground turkey or chicken will have less fat than ground beef. Reducing the cooking time will help avoid having your meat get dried out.
Taco Seasoning: In my opinion, this is a personal preference. I like our homemade version of taco seasoning ( it’s also linked in the recipe card). However, if you like a certain store bought version or your own homemade version, of course, feel free to use that instead.
How to Make:
- Pour 1 cup of water into your instant pot and place the steam rack into the pan. Be sure the handles are up, making removal easier.
- Then, place the ground beef right on top of the steam rack. No need to break it up or defrost, simply place the whole piece on the rack.
- Cover and cook on high pressure. If you are cooking it frozen, your cooking time will be different, see recipe card for details.
- Do a natural release. Remove the meat and steam rack. Clean out the instant pot.
- Add a bit of olive oil into the clean pot and press the saute function.
- Brown the beef with the minced onion and taco seasoning, breaking it up as it cooks. Then, add in tomato sauce and water. Cook for just another 5 minutes or until meat is cooked thoroughly.
- Serve your taco meat as desired.
A few serving ideas:
📌 Pin it for Later
- Crock Pot No Boil Mac and Cheese
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Chicken Egg Rolls
- Crock Pot Hoisen Pork
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 TBSP minced onion
- 2-3 TBSP taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- olive oil
- GARNISH FOR TACOS:
- shells, lettuce, salsa, tomatoes, guacamole, shredded cheese, sour cream, etc
- Pour one cup of water into instant pot and place steam rack in pot.
- Place raw ground beef on top of steam rack. Cover and turn valve to sealed.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. If your ground beef is frozen, cook for 20 minutes.
- Do a quick release. Carefully remove beef from pot and place on a clean plate. You will also remove the steam rack and clean out the pot.
- When ready, press the saute function and heat about a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add in steamed ground beef, taco seasoning and minced onion. Start browning the beef, breaking it up as you cook. Continue the meat until it is no longer red and mostly brown.
- Add in water and tomato sauce and mix well. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Serve taco meat as desired.
adapted from kristine's kitchen
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 246mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 22g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on countertopcooking.net should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate