Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole- Eggs, breakfast sausage, cheese and hash browns make this hearty casserole. It comes together quickly and is made right in your Instant Pot!
This casserole is great option not only for breakfast ( as noted in the title of the recipe), but, for dinner or lunch. It’s full of protein and bit of cheesy goodness.
- Hash browns
- Breakfast sausage
- Salt -Pepper -Onion powder
Hash Brown: I used a frozen variety of diced southern style potatoes. However, a shredded version will also work. Just be sure your potatoes are thawed before cooking the casserole. If they are frozen, this will affect the consistency of your casserole.
Can I Use a Low Carb Alternative to Hash Browns?
- My honest answer, I don’t know. I have come across a few keto friendly recipes for hash browns using cauliflower. But, I have not tried this myself. If you do, please share your outcome!
Breakfast Sausage: You want to use a ground breakfast sausage for this. It could pork, turkey, chicken or a plant based version. Make sure it’s fully cooked ( no longer pink) and if necessary, drained before adding it to the casserole.
All of these flavors will go well with it. However, shredded will just work better.
- Any variety of cheddar
- Colby Jack
- Taco blend
- Italian blend
How to Make: (full instructions in recipe card)
- First, grease a 6-7 inch round baking pan. See recipe card for what I use.
- Add breakfast sausage to your instant pot and using the saute function, cook it until it’s no longer pink. If needed, drain the sausage. Then, wipe out the pot lightly.
- Pour water into the bottom of the pot and place the steam rack into the pot.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and dried spices.
- Layer the bottom of your pan with defrosted hash browns. Then, layer the cooked breakfast sausage. Pour the egg mixture on top them. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover pan with foil and place on top of steam rack.
- Place the lid on your instant pot and cook on high pressure. Do a quick release. Carefully, remove pan from the pot and remove foil.
- It’s hot! Let it cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
Goes great with a dollop of fresh salsa.
For Your Instant Pot:
- Instant Pot Brownies
- Instant Pot Funfetti Cake
- Instant Pot Popcorn
- Instant Pot Cupcakes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 3 cups frozen hash browns, defrosted
- 1/2 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Lightly grease a 6-7 inch round pan.
- Add breakfast sausage to pot and press the "saute" function. Cook sausage until no longer pink, breaking it up as it cooks. Remove from pot and if necessary, drain cooked sausage.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper and onion powder.
- Layer the bottom of your pan with defrosted hash browns. Then, layer the cooked breakfast sausage. Pour the egg mixture on top them.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water to the bottom of the instant pot and place steam rack into the bottom of the pot.
- Cover the pan with foil and place on top of steam rack.
- Cover instant pot with lid and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Do a quick release. Carefully, remove pan from pot and uncover.
- Let the casserole cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
- adapted from a mind 'full" mom
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 498mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 19g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on countertopcooking.net should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate