Mashed Potato Waffles- A great way to make use of your leftover mashed potatoes! Crispy waffles with the savory taste of cheese, potatoes and a variety of spices. Serve them as a meal, a side dish or for breakfast!
When I discovered this recipe, I wasn’t quite sure about it. Mashed potatoes in the waffle iron? 🤔 Mmmm..interesting. Of course, we do love our carbs around here, so, I gave them a try.
These are amazing! Crispy, flavorful and easy to prepare.
- Mashed potatoes
- Bread crumbs
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Baking soda + baking powder
- Dried spices: Salt- Pepper-Garlic powder-Onion powder-Oregano
Mashed Potatoes: If you have leftover mashed potatoes in your fridge, perfect! If not, you can always buy a pre made package of mashed potatoes. We are crazy about Bob Evans pre made Mashed Potatoes. If you can’t find this exact brand, many grocery stores have a brand equivalent. If you can’t locate a pre made pack and want quick mashed potatoes, buy a pack of potato flakes. They will give you mashed potatoes in about 10 minutes.
How to Prepare:
- Preheat your waffle iron and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Next, mix together the mashed potatoes and remaining ingredients. Scoop about 1/3 cup of the potatoes and place on waffle iron. Close the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes or until cooked thoroughly or until they are brown on top.
A few notes:
- If desired, you can add more/less batter to the waffle iron for bigger/smaller waffles. Simply adjust your cooking time.
- Waffle Iron: Mine is a round classic waffle iron (see recipe card). I haven’t tried these with a Belgium waffle iron, but, it should work fine. You may just need to adjust your cooking time.
- Are your waffles sticking/breaking up on the waffle iron? Add an egg white to the remaining batter. This should help bind them together a bit better.
Serve them with:
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- chopped, cooked bacon
- fresh chives
- Preheat waffle iron and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix together all ingredients until fully combined.
- Scoop 1/3 cup of batter and spread on top waffle iron.
- Close lid and cook for 3-4 minutes or until cooked thoroughly and brown on top.
- Let waffles cool on wire rack. Serve warm with desired toppings.
- adapted from diethood
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 590mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 13g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on countertopcooking.net should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate